Mini Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty Worth it – Procedure & Reviews
Mini Tummy Tuck:
Before understanding what a ‘mini tummy tuck’ is, we have to know what does ‘tummy tuck’ means in the first place.
Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty:
Tummy tuck, or more scientifically called Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgery method that is carried out to transform the human abdomen to a more thinner and firm one. It involves the elimination of surplus skin and fat from the lower and middle abdomen that ultimately helps to tighten the fascia and muscle of the abdominal wall. This surgery is mainly targeted at patients with sagged or loosened tissues after a significant weight loss or pregnancy.
Now as we have a clear picture of what the topic is about, let’s learn more about mini tummy tuck.
Mini Tummy Tuck or Partial Abdominoplasty:
A mini tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgery method that is less invasive and needs a smaller incision than the complete Abdominoplasty. It produces minimal scarring and excellent results. The incision is somewhat similar to that of a C-Section. However, this procedure is not for everyone as their body does not qualify for it. It is because these people have loosened skin along with weak abdominal muscles both below and above the belly button. This method is perfect for patients who are nearer to their ideal body weight but still possess some loosened skin amid the navel and pelvic bone.
Procedural differences between Tummy Tuck and Mini Tummy Tuck:
A complete abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) takes about 1 to 5 hours whereas a partial abdominoplasty (mini tummy tuck can be carried out in just 1 to 2 hours.
There are other differences too, let’s get to them in detail:
Steps to a Complete abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck):
- An incision that is from hip to hip just above the pubic region is made.
- A second incision is carried out to free the navel from the encircling skin.
- The skin is separated from the abdominal wall to expose the muscle and fascia to be tightened. Then it is tightened with the help of sutures.
- Liposuction is usually used to improve the transition zones of the abdominal figure.
- A dressing and often a compression garment is employed, and any excess fluid from the area is drained.
Steps to a Partial Abdominoplasty (Mini Tummy Tuck):
- A comparatively smaller incision is made.
- The fat and skin of the lower abdomen are separated in a more limited style from the muscle fascia. The skin is drawn down, and excess skin removed.
- Occasionally, the belly button stalk is split from the muscle underneath, and the belly button moves down on the lower abdominal wall.
- At times, a part of the abdominal muscle fascia wall is tightened.
- To shape the transition zone, Liposuction is employed.
- Finally, the flap is sewed back into place.
Apart from the steps, the recovery time of the partial tuck can be between one to three weeks whereas the full tuck can last between four and six weeks. Also, when taking suitability into account, patients with minor sagging between the navel and pubic bone are best suited for a partial tuck whereas, patients with skin and muscles stretched due to obesity or multiple pregnancies can opt for a complete tuck.
However, both these procedures are not meant for people who are planning to get pregnant again or the ones who are in the middle of losing weight.
Now, let’s completely turn our attention to mini tummy tuck and answer our real question, is mini tummy tuck worth it?
Risks associated with Mini Tummy Tuck:
Frequent side effects of this surgical procedure are numbness, swelling, and discomfort. The procedure may also carry the risks of long-lasting infection, bleeding, and numbness.
Limitations of Mini Tummy Tuck:
- The method is not a significant skin tightening procedure.
- It can only tighten a confined area, that is present above the pubes. In case, if you wish to tighten more, the scar you receive will be extended and no longer be hidden. Also, the tightening will be insufficient making the procedure in vain.
- The procedure does not take responsibility for the stretch marks.
- The procedure does not take responsibility for any muscle wall separation above the belly button.
Things to remember during the recovery period:
- It is best advised to at least take a part of this recovery time off from any work.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Bruising along with discomfort can be experienced.
- With the help of a compression garment or abdominal binder, the swelling or bruising can be minimized along with aiding the repaired tissue. It can also help the skin in the operated area, adjust to its new state.
- It is highly mandatory to avoid all forms of nicotine for at least a month or longer, before the surgery and also during the recovery stage.
- The complete recovery can take some months with the scars fading slowly. Initially, the scars may appear red and obvious, but with proper attention, they can heal into tiny silvery line.
Costs of the Procedure:
The cost of a Mini Tummy Tuck procedure can vary from country to country and even inside a country. Just like any cosmetic surgery, the cost can be calculated on a variety of factors like the age of the person, weight of the person, and health condition of the person. Additionally, there might also be post-operative costs involved. When summing up the cost, the pre-operative cost, surgery cost, the post-operative cost, amenities fees, anesthesia, medications are all considered. Therefore, a mini tummy tuck can cost you somewhere between $4000 and $5000.
Is the procedure worth doing?
The answer to this question can vary from person to person, and you may have understood it from the above content. Although it is a safe procedure, rarely, complications may arise. The decision to have this surgery is indeed personal, and you will have to decide by comparing the advantages or benefits with the disadvantages or risks.
As the saying says, you cannot have a rainbow without a little rain!